pátek 8. března 2013

Rainy days in Brisbane

I signed up this semester for the CCM (Christianity sth Movement) and to make it complete as a package, I also signed up for the G Race, which took place on Saturday. Start was at 9:00, but because we needed to meet at South Bank at 8:15, I had to wake up at 6:30 am on the weekend...
I was in a team with another 7(?) people and there were a lot of teams (above 30 for sure), but not all teams started from the same place, so the start wasn't crowded. The race is about going to different spots in Brisbane, solving tasks there and get a clue. All the clues will then help you to answer the main question "Where is Frank?" (Frank Abignale from Catch Me If You Can movie). The tasks were various, e.g. first one was about throwing our shoes to the paper box so the box will move as far as possible, or dance Gangnam Style in front of the strangers and let them guess what's the dance, or sing an arbitrary text to a melody of a well-known song (well-known English song, so I didn't know them :D).
The finish was at UQ at 1 pm, so 4 hours to fulfill 6 tasks and to get the answer to the main question. We got the answer with the 3rd clue (the answer was "Madagascar"), but those 6 tasks took us almost 4 hours to complete. Because the time is also important, we ran the whole way as cheetahs, and because the rain is really persistent today, it was raining the whole day. And as I heard in a song, "When it rains it pours", that's a true story. I got soaked, even I wore a poncho and got an umbrella. But at the finish we got pizzas and drinks :) Unfortunatelly my team didn't win the first and second places, because there were better teams (or rather, more lucky teams), so I guess that we finished third. Not bad (Obama face).

I also got 2 new E guitar strings, yay :D Yesterday a friend of my landlord has came over. As she saw me bought a guitar with a broken string two weeks ago, she asked me whether I fixed and tune it. I answered that I fixed it, but probably didn't tune it well. So she offered that she would have a look at it and tune it for me. As she was trying to tune it, one string got broken... Too bad, but it happened to me also. So today, she bought a new string and fixed and tune the guitar for me :) In addition, she left 2 more strings for me, and a tuner. So I got new stuff for the guitar for free. Not bad (Obama face).

On Sunday I planned to go to the Koala Pine with my new friend here, but it rained again. So we ended up in the Brisbane museum and Brisbane gallery, but I had fun there even it was my second time in those places :) We also saw a Aboriginal dance performance and it was absolutely awesome.

Second week in school was funnier than the first week, because the practicals and the tutorials have started. I have pracs and tutorials in my Programming course, and the difference is simply about having/not having a computer to program. During the tutorial, we write code on the paper and on the blackboard. And the computers here are pretty fast as they're Intel Core i7 3,4GHz, have 16GB of RAM and Win 7. Not bad (Obama face).

Me and my Czech classmate also created a plan for the mid-semester break. We will travel to Melbourne, from there to the Great Ocean Road by car, and afterwards to Tasmania by plane. We'll probably live at my acquaintance's house in Melbourne, which means for free, so it should be a low cost travel. The trip is going to take about 8-9 days, so I'll miss some of my classes and probably lose 4 points... If someone happened to be on those places while I'm there, let me know and we can grab a drink or two (or more). Not bad (Obama face).

Žádné komentáře:

Okomentovat